By Monica Nicosia, PhD, and Kathy Boltz, PhD
- Would you like to find tools to help you work more efficiently?
- Are you leery of technology?
- Do you worry about cyber security?
- Do you see yourself in any of these statistics1 about freelance medical communicators?
- For time tracking, 32% use spreadsheets and 40% don’t use any software/app
- For accounting/bookkeeping, 42% use spreadsheets and 20% don’t use any software/app
If you answered yes
to any of these questions, come to our Tools to Thrive in a Digital World
session at the 2018 AMWA Medical Writing & Communication Conference
. During this session, we are going to unpack the technology that we use to work in our offices and on the road. Also, we will share lessons learned when we faced problems resolved or caused by technology. Topics that we will cover include:
- Cloud solutions for backing up data and sharing files
- Considerations when choosing a laptop and providers for services like email and website hosting
- Cyber security tips for protecting your identity and data
- Data storage and access
- Digital solutions to streamline tasks like accounting, invoicing, time tracking, audio recording and transcription, reference management
- Screen sharing solutions for remote work
- Travel apps and network access on the road
As freelance writers and editors, we have to be computer-savvy enough to complete our assignments and also run and market our businesses. Things get stressful when we have to juggle the demands of projects at different stages, bills to be paid, invoices to be sent, and so on. Most of us can’t afford an administrative assistant and/or tech support. We have to do everything ourselves. One of the goals of our session is to help you sort through the ever expanding menu of available tools to find tech that might ease some burdensome tasks. Another goal is to try to alleviate the fears of those who are a bit more technophobe. While we don’t have to be on the cutting edge of the digital world, we also shouldn’t lag too far behind.
Join us in Washington, DC! Come prepared to ask burning questions and share experiences. Drop us a comment or email, if you have any suggestions for what you would like us to discuss.
1 Nicosia M. Results from the 2016 Freelance Medical Communicator Tools of the Trade Survey. AMWA J. 2017;32(3):105-112.
Education Session: Tools to Thrive in a Digital World
Friday, November 2, 2018, 10:30 AM -12:00 PM
Monica Nicosia, PhD, is an Independent Medical Writer at Nicosia Medical Writer LLC (Bryn Mawr, PA) and Kathy Boltz, PhD, is Owner and Principal Medical Writer of On Point Scientific, LLC (Phoenix, AZ).